Judge Hayek has retired from performing weddings. The following information remains posted for the benefit of couples who may find it helpful in their wedding planning. Some information may be out of date, so verify any information important to you.

Contents of this page:


Judge Hayek at Columbia Winery


Judge Hayek with newlyweds at Carillon Point


Wedding Ceremony at Marina Park


Retired Judge Hayek

Contact Judge Hayek:


(425) 822-2794

Based in downtown Kirkland, Retired Judge Carolyn Hayek performs civil wedding ceremonies in her office in the historic Brooks Building, as well as in homes, halls, hotels and parks throughout the Puget Sound area. The fee for in-office downtown Kirkland weddings is $160. The fee for other Kirkland locations is $220. Judge Hayek's fee for most other wedding locations in King and Snohomish County is $300, plus an extra fee if the distance is over 30 miles. Both heterosexual and same sex couples are welcome to schedule with Judge Hayek.

To schedule a wedding
To schedule a wedding with Judge Hayek from 1 week to 6 months before your wedding date, first check to see if your date is available by looking at the schedule of available dates. Then send Judge Hayek an e-mail at HayekServices@gmail.com. E-mail is the preferred means to request information. In your message, please include:
(1) Daytime, evening and week-end phone numbers
(2) Date, time and location of wedding
(3) Full names of both parties.
If you are unable to send e-mail, please phone Judge Hayek's office at: (425) 822-2794. If she is not available when you call, please be prepared to leave a message with as much information as possible. In most cases, Judge Hayek will respond to messages no later than the next business day. If you have received no response in 48 hours, please try again. If the date is available and you choose to schedule your wedding with Judge Hayek, a deposit of $60 will be required to hold your date and time on her calendar.
Pay by Cash, Check, Credit Card or PayPal
If you mail a deposit check, please enclose a note confirming the date, time and location of the wedding, the full names of the bride(s) and/or groom(s), and a mailing address for the person paying the deposit. The same information should be included if you drop off a check or cash at the office. If you later change your plans, a partial refund may be available. Please review our Refund Policy. If you prefer to pay by PayPal or credit card, you may pay your deposit, full fee, or balance due on-line, after first confirming with Judge Hayek that your time and date are available. If the amount you want to pay is not listed in the drop-down menu, go to PayPal.com and click on Send Money to process your payment in any amount to HayekServices@aol.com. You may also request that Hayek Services e-mail an invoice to you for the exact amount to be paid through PayPal, containing a quick payment link.
Payment Options
Date, Time, Location:

Judge Hayek is a graduate of Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota, and the University of Chicago Law School. She practiced law for nine years, half of that time with a large corporate law firm in downtown Seattle and half that time as the proprietor of her own firm in Federal Way, Washington. She served as a full-time judge of the Federal Way District Court for 13 years. Judge Hayek was employed for two years as Executive Director of the People's Memorial Association. She is an active member of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), having served as State AAUW President for Washington and currently serving as Co-President of the Kirkland-Redmond Branch. She is also a member of the Unitarian Universalist Church. Judge Hayek is an active community volunteer, having served 8 years on the Kirkland Planning Commission. She has also coordinated an English as a Second Language Project for AAUW and is a board member and officer of Eliot Institute.
Obtaining a marriage license
A marriage license must be obtained no more than 60 days but at least three days before the date of the wedding. You may apply in person or by mail. In King and Snohomish Counties, a marriage license costs $64 (cash). Call (206) 296-4021 or (800) 325-6165 X6-4021 for more King County information. Recorded information for King County is available at (206) 296-3933, including information in Spanish. In Snohomish County, call (425) 388-3627 or (425) 388-3483. Marriage licenses are valid throughout the State of Washington.  While most King County couples obtain their marriage licenses at the King County Administration Building in downtown Seattle, at 500 Fourth Avenue, Rm. 311, Kirkland residents may find it more convenient to go to the Northshore Community Service Center, located at: 10808 N.E. 145th St.; Bothell, WA 98011. PH: 206-296-9840. The Northshore office is open Mondays (10AM to 5PM) and Tuesdays (10AM to 7PM) only.
Information for the Judge
Two to six weeks prior to the wedding, send or deliver a package of documents to: 
Brooks Building, Suite 1
611 Market St.
Kirkland, WA 98033-5422
  Include the following:
  1. The original marriage license and all accompanying documents. Remember to fill in the personal background information and social security number on the health department marriage certificate. Please include the ceremonial certificate provided to you by the county. It will be returned to you after the ceremony.
  2. A note confirming the date and time of wedding. (Judge Hayek will plan to be there 15-30 minutes before the stated time.)
  3. Directions and a map to the wedding location.
  4. Names of two witnesses who will sign the marriage paperwork along with you on the day of the ceremony. They should be age 18 or older.
  5. Your phone number and e-mail address (if available).
  6. A copy of the wedding ceremony you wish to use. This can be one of the ceremonies posted to this website (with or without modifications) or another ceremony you have found or created.
  7. The unpaid balance of the wedding fee, payable by check to HAYEK SERVICES. (If you prefer, you may use PayPal through this website.)
  8. Emergency phone number for wedding location. Judge Hayek would like a number to call to reach you in case her car breaks down, there is an emergency on the way to the wedding, or she can't find you.

Please be sure to use the correct postage. At least a dollar and eight cents ($1.12) of postage (2 oz.) will be required.  If you don't mind the extra expense, Priority Mail is a good way to send your paperwork. You can request electronic confirmatiion for a small extra fee. However, don't request a signed receipt, because that can delay delivery. If you prefer to bring the paperwork by in person, please call first to arrange a time. To reach the Brooks Building, take the 85th St. exit from I-405, going West (toward downtown Kirkland and Lake Washington) until the arterial curves to the right and becomes Market St. Look for the Brooks Building on your left about 3 blocks north of the curve. The building is usually open from 9 to 3:30 Monday-Friday. Papers can be left for Judge Hayek during those times, even if she is not in, by sliding the envelope under her office door, Suite 1, at the top of the stairs. Look for her name on the door before leaving paperwork. Payment by cash or check can be left in the envelope. If the door to the Brooks Building is locked, ring the doorbell or phone HAYEK SERVICES at 425-822-2794.

Wedding Ceremonies
Judge Hayek usually uses the Simple Wedding Ceremony, Simple Ceremony - Revised or the Special Wedding Ceremony, but any ceremony can be modified by the parties in any way they choose. Click on the name of the ceremony to see the complete text. The Simple Ceremony Revised is updated to use more modern language, in response to requests from non-native speakers. The Partner Ceremony is intended for couples who have been together for a long time, but are now entering into a legal marriage. Weddings can be performed in English, Spanish, or German.

You can also find sample wedding ceremonies in the book Into the Garden: A Wedding Anthology, edited by Robert Hass & Stephen Mitchell. The book also contains (pages 151-155) some very thoughtful quotations from Rainer Maria Rilke. Another book to look at is Robert Fulghum's From Beginning to End. It contains some interesting thoughts about wedding ceremonies. You may also want to look through books in the library or your local bookstore for ideas. 

Hints for a Successful Wedding
Based on Judge Hayek's many years of experience officiating at weddings, she can often offer practical suggestions to make your special day go more smoothly. Click here to read some of her suggestions. Also, you might find her Rehearsal Checklist useful.  If you are looking for other local wedding vendors, go to HAYEK SERVICES Referrals or the wedding links at ExploreKirkland.com. If you want to learn more about Kirkland restaurants, hotels and local events, visit ExploreKirkland.com.
Wedding Locations
Judge Hayek performs small weddings in her office in downtown Kirkland. This space is appropriate for weddings involving no more than 6 people. You can see pictures of HAYEK SERVICES on facebook. If you are on facebook, be sure to "like" HAYEK SERVICES. You can also post a comment or a wedding picture there. While many weddings are performed in churches, hotels, country clubs, or community centers, many other locations are possible. One of the most popular places to get married is in your own home or the home of a friend or relative. Other inexpensive locations include the clubhouse of an apartment or condominium complex where you or a friend or relative live, a gazebo or shelter in a public park, or a restaurant, either in a private room or in the normal dining area during a time when the restaurant is not crowded. Your local Chamber of Commerce can help you find an appropriate facility to rent.

In Kirkland, the Woodmark Hotel, (425) 827-1986, is a popular rental location. The Pavilion in Marina Park provides a scenic outdoor setting. Its use can be combined with the nearby Heritage Hall. For park and Heritage Hall information call Nicci Osborn at (425) 587-3342 or visit the City of Kirkland Parks Department website: City of Kirkland Rental Facilities. Northlake Unitarian Universalist Church, in downtown Kirkland, is available for rental at a reasonable cost. The officiant for weddings at the church may be a minister or a judge. For further information, call 425-822-0171.  The Courtyard by Marriott Hotel in the Totem Lake area of Kirkland (425) 602-3200, is appropriate for ceremonies with up to 60 guests, as well as for overnight accommodations and wedding receptions or meals. Also consider the upscale Heathman Hotel (425) 284-5800, which can accommodate a ceremony or reception for about 100 people. You might also want to take advantage of their Trellis Restaurant or Penterra Spa. A new venue just outside Kirkland is JM Cellars, located in neighboring Woodinville. They can accommodate about 50 people for a ceremony and reception, including wine tasting and a visit to their winery. If you are looking for a location for a reception or meal following an office ceremony, vist the Explore Kirkland website to see a list of local restaurants -- we have a lot of excellent places where you can celebrate.

Other Officiants
In the State of Washington most District Court Judges are available to perform weddings. Many are willing to come to your location. You can find their names and numbers in the phone book, listed under "Government-County-District Court." For more information see the state court directory. District and municipal court judges are more likely to be available than those on the Superior or appellate courts. Seattle Municipal Court has a wedding request form on-line. You can find it at: http://www.pan.ci.seattle.wa.us/courts/judmag/marriage.htm. The Burien Courthouse of the King County District Court has a wedding hotline - phone (206) 205-6745. For general information about scheduling a wedding with an active (not retired) King County judge, go to: http://www.kingcounty.gov/courts/DistrictCourt/Marriages.aspx

You may also want to consider a minister of the Unitarian Universalist Church. The Reverend Marian Stewart can be reached at Northlake Unitarian Universalist Church in Kirkland, (425) 822-0171. Consider also Saltwater Unitarian Universalist Church (Des Moines) at (253) 839-5200 and its minister the Reverend James Kubal-Komoto. Or, call the University Unitarian Church in Seattle at (206) 525-8400 for another referral.

Other Resources
Retired Judge Carolyn Hayek is listed with MySeattleWedding.com and WeddingWire. WeddingWire is also the place where you can read reviews from past clients or post your own.

After the CeremonyCeremonial Certificate
You will keep the ceremonial wedding certificate. Be sure you put it in a safe place because Judge Hayek is not able to replace lost certificates. Judge Hayek will mail the official Marriage Certificate (the Department of Health form) to the county for filing. After ten days you can request a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate from the Marriage License Office of the county where the license was obtained. Copies of marriage certificates for marriages all over Washington can be ordered from the state from their website: http://www.doh.wa.gov/EHSPHL/CHS/marriage.htm. For less expensive copies, contact the county records office. For King County, instructions are available at: http://www.kingcounty.gov/courts/marriage/Licensecopies.aspx.

If your license is from King County, you can verify that your marriage certificate has been filed by going to the King County Records website. Judge Hayek suggests you print out the page showing the date of your ceremony and the filing number of your marriage certificate. You can use that print-out as an order form in case you need to order a certified copy of the document. It will help the clerks understand which document you want.
Updated May 5, 2015